FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com
My Bird Performs: You are my girl and you don't even know it.

« Home | And how do you think Kool Keith feels? » | Yours ain’t the only way to feel. » | It's happy hour again. » | Everything's alright forever. » | I call you Sister Carrie, but I never say it. » | Do you remember the good old days before the ghost... » | Midwest Music Summit Week: Days Two and Three » | Midwest Music Summit Week: Day One » | Panic on the streets of London. » | Men of steel need the skrilla, too »

You are my girl and you don't even know it.



In the interests of staying sane while in Kokomo this summer, I've taken to making frequent trips to the library. In the interests of keeping this blog updated, I've decided to share my reading list.

Here's the count so far, with no links and in no particular order:

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain - Bourdain may be a pompous sonofabitch, but I've heard good things. Haven't started this one.

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson - I'm a sucker for both travel narratives and Australia. Haven't started this one either.

The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks - A worst-case scenario book on everyone's favorite undead creature by the son of comedy legend Mel Brooks.

Annotations by John Keene - A graduation present from the girlfriend's parents. This one's deep.

New Poems by Kenneth Rexroth - One of the foremost translators of Japanese poetry into English during the 20th century, Rexroth has a gift for original verse, too.

The Decameron by Boccaccio - A classic. I made it 10 pages.

Get This Party Started: How Progressives Can Fight Back and Win edited by Matthew R. Kerbel - What has two thumbs and is totally fired up for the midterm elections? THIS GUY! (note to self: joke not as funny when people can't see thumbs)

And here's today's haul:

Of Love and Other Demons by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - I would reread Love In the Time of Cholera, but I'm already fey enough as is.

Collected Poems by Ted Hughes - Fortunately, I don't care for Sylvia Plath, so I'm free to enjoy her vastly more engaging ex-husband.

The Ha-Ha by David Kirby - A complete shot in the dark.The cover looks interesting.

Had Enough?: A Handbook For Fighting Back by James Carville - Did I mention I'm really excited for this fall's elections?

Big Sky Mind: Buddhism and the Beat Generation editied by Carole Tonkinson - I don't really like the Beats, so I hope this one changes my mind.

Now, I just have to read 'em all. More on that later.



As I mentioned in my last post, I made my bi-monthly trip to Luna Music last week, picking up all manner of intriguing releases in the process. Tonight marks the second of three Luna updates, and features songs from Tale of the City, Houston Party's collection of Philidelphia's finest indie pop revivalists.

Blood Feathers - Sea Legs. This is the sound of an alternate universe where Rhett Miller fronts Beulah and California, having broken off from the rest of North America, is a neo-hippie beach commune. Words like languid or sun-baked might be appropriate, but they fail to account for the marriage of warm country twang with Summer of Love tambourines. Blood Feathers remain unsigned, but you can check out their MySpace page right here.

B.C Camplight - Blood and Peanut Butter. When I was in college, I'd get crushes on random people that I saw during the course of my daily routine. One year, it was a girl who worked at the laptop checkout in the library. Another, it was a girl who folded sweatshirst at the bookstore. I never talked to any of these ladies, but if I had, and if I had Ben Folds, Burt Bachrach, and Carl Newman as my wingmen on that particular day, it might've sounded something like this. Consequently, I've had this on repeat for the last two days. Don't listen if you're not ready for a new addiction. B.C. Camplight's debut, Hide, Run Away, is available on One Little Indian.

Hi-Soft - Soft Rock. Remember that wacky alternate universe? With the Beulah 97's and California Island? Well, in that same universe, Joe Pernice was born in England, replaced Kevin Shields in My Bloody Valentine, did away with what he called "all this guitar noise rubbish", and started making respectable pop music. This, then, was that group's first single. Seriously. If these songs don't make you want to go die of sunstroke with your best friends in the middle of some overcrowded public beach, there's something wrong inside of you. These are the sounds of summer. Hi-Soft can be found on Chocohearts, and their debut EP, Amateur, is available in that site's shop area.

love the video. man, i had no idea that kid could dance. also, the peanut butter was delicious. love you, beck

i could help you update this thing, but you need to add me first *hint*

Post a Comment