FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com
My Bird Performs: Yours ain’t the only way to feel.

« Home | It's happy hour again. » | Everything's alright forever. » | I call you Sister Carrie, but I never say it. » | Do you remember the good old days before the ghost... » | Midwest Music Summit Week: Days Two and Three » | Midwest Music Summit Week: Day One » | Panic on the streets of London. » | Men of steel need the skrilla, too » | Wanted: A Juliana » | Born in the U.S.A. »

Yours ain’t the only way to feel.



Nothing about that video makes sense. With that said, the audience is easily the best part. Their big hair and ocean-esque gyrations look like a cross between a backyard wrestling crowd and Parrotheads who're already one too many margaritas into the night. In short, God bless the internet.

I've been home since Tuesday evening, and already I'm ready to go somewhere else. This wanderlust is compounded by the fact that I have no friends to visit, no destinations to conquer, and no creative alternatives that will alleviate my travel bug. So, during the down time, I do what I can: play Warcraft, drink malt liquor, and avoid the idea that grad school applications are due sooner than I think. I've also begun pricing satellite radio receivers. So far, I haven't really been able to find any compelling arguments for or against XM or Sirius. Aside from Howard Stern, they seems equally viable to me, so I'm kinda stuck at an impasse at the moment. Anybody have any suggestions?

I already have Saturday's update planned, so look out for that. Let's just say it'll feature a blast from the past and, if all goes well, will represent the first in a series of themed Saturday updates.



Burial - Distant Lights. There's a palpable tension around here at night. It's been hot since I got back, and sometime I like to go out for drives to escape from the heat. As I wind along the same roads that I've been coming down since high school, I've begun to notice how sinister the city looks at night. Factories sprawl out all across town, and, if you stray far from the painted neon signs of US 31, you'll quickly find yourself bathed in the amber light of industry. It's can be really unsettling. The light is a really unkind shade, the kind they use for parking lots that no one really cares about. The whole city buzzes in it. Even in the country, it radiates off of buildings in the distance. In that light, and with that heat, you can't help but feel pressed in by the night. Everything is ominous. All of this is a long way of saying that Burial makes the kind of music that might suitably accompany such a trip if you replaced Kokomo with London. A solid dubstep effort. Find more here.



Daedelus - Sundown. The complete opposite of the previous song. The person who recommended this track to me described it as the most organic-sounding electronic music that I'll ever hear, and he may be right. I tried Daedelus out with 2004's Of Snowdonia, but was left unconvinced. However, this is no longer the case. On his newest album, Daedelus Denies The Day's Demise, Daedelus' music breathes deeper and more confidently than it ever has before. Also, the Latin American influences are, for once, a welcome addition. Interested parties can hear more straight from the horse's mouth, or check out the label's page for more info on Daedelus as well as notable label mates like cLOUDDEAD, Aesop Rock, and Nobody and The Mystic Chords of Memory (who have a new EP out this week that features Devendra Banhart and the Long Lost clocking in for guest appearances).

sad and neat.

Post a Comment