FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com
My Bird Performs: ...is terrified.

« Home | Deep in the heart of crazy » | In the waiting room » | Days of future present »

...is terrified.

Just shy of 11 a.m., and already the heat's unbearable. Welcome to Peoria, folks.

Dismemberment Plan - Ellen and Ben. When I think of my greatest summers, these guys are one of the first accompanying bands to come to mind. The association is more personal than anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't strong. In high school, I spent a week at speech nationals in Oklahoma City jamming to "Gyroscope" and "Girl O'Clock" on a cassette given to me by my friend Janelle. Two years later, my friends and I undertook a 14-hour road trip to Washington D.C. just to see the Plan's farewell show at Ft. Reno. They only got to play for 45 minutes thanks to a combination of rain and draconian city ordinances governing outdoor concerts on public land, but it was all worth it because of songs like this one. Relationships fuck up, and you don't know why. This is especially true if you aren't one of the participants. In this song, Travis Morrison plays the role of the bemused outsider, offering conjecture and commentary about the title characters' ill-fated pairing.

BONUS: Troubled Hubble - Where Raccoons Don't Live. Since the Plan broke up, I've been on the hunt for their heir apparent, and these Chicagoans come pretty close. This track combines the vocals of speak-singers like Clem Snide's Eef Barzalay with a reasonable facsimile the Plan's apocalypitically frantic instrumental assault. Their new album, Making Beds In A Burning House, is available on Lookout! Records.